Tuesday, September 28, 2010

We Have Worms!!

Composting is a great way to dispose of organic material without letting it go to waste in a landfill.  Composting is essentially a natural decomposition of materials sped up with a couple simple tweaks.  There are two main ways to compost: a traditional compost pile (or bin) and worms.

If you pile up your organic material or stick it in a bin, it will decompose over time because microbes will eat your garbage and convert it to black gold.  Keeping it in a pile or a bin keeps the material warm, which speeds up the decomposition.  It's important to keep the material a little moist and to turn the pile every now and then (which is why many people use tumblers-- so instead of churning the material with a big shovel or other tool, you can just rotate the bin a couple times and you're done).  The carbon-nitrogen ratio should be rather high, and as a general rule of thumb this means the ration between yard trimmings and food scraps should be high (of course, this is simplifying it quite a bit).  This method of composting is great if you have the room and patience for it, and if you produce a lot of waste.


Worms, on the other hand, are a better method if you live in a small space, produce a little less waste, and are maybe a little lonely but not yet responsible to get a real pet.  Worms will eat your garbage and turn it into really nutritious compost for your plants, and they will do it all in a bin under your kitchen sink.  The following is a simple tutorial on how to compost with worms.  I'm really not great yet at taking pictures for the purposes of these posts, so please forgive me.

Worm House

I used this website as a guide.

1. I bought 2 bins (opaque is important because worms do not like light)
2. I drilled holes into the bottom of one bin.  This is so any excess liquid from the compost could drain through.  Worms can drown, but they require moisture to live or they dry out.  I drilled about 5 rows of 4 holes each.

I borrowed the drill from my neighbor Joe



















3. I drilled holes around the sides of the same bin, near the top.  Worms breathe air, so this is important.  I didn't take a picture of me doing this, but I drilled several holes about 1.5 inches apart along the top of the sides.

4. I stuck a couple bricks, sideways, in the bin that was hole-less and put the holey bin on top of the bricks.

WORMS!

1. I ordered worms off amazon!

2. They arrived!

3. Put bedding in the top bin.  This consists of newspaper, cardboard, dead leaves, etc. soaked in water, squeezed to get rid of excess water, then fluffed around so the worms can get through.

4. WORMS! in the bin















5. Let them get acclimated to their new home for a few days to a week, then feed them regularly every couple days.  Too often, and the worms won't get through it fast enough so it will start to stink.  Too infrequently, and I don't think there's a problem unless you neglect them for weeks.  So better to err on the side of less frequent feedings.















I read that worms prefer to eat food that's less fresh.  I also know that it's not great to feed them too often because I don't want to worry about smells or pests.  SOOOO I got a really cute ceramic compost keeper from TJ Maxx for 15$ (it's orange\\red with a carbon filter that works unbelievably well).  I find this method to be really great because I'm feeding the worms on a better schedule, not just whenever I decide to cook, and I can feed them from the bottom of the keeper so it's nice and appetizing for them.

Worms won't be able to digest dairy, meat, or fat.  I find a good rule of wrist to be to feed them scraps from the cooking process (ends of onions, tomato cores, fruit, etc) and not anything that I've cooked because I usually use olive oil or some other fatty substance to cook.

Worms have a gizzard, like chickens, so they need hard substances to help them digest.  You can use sand for this, but I think crushing up egg shells and giving them used coffee grounds will do the trick.

One last thing.  The worms try to escape at first.  Nowadays, I have worms at the top whenever I take the lid off, and it's no big deal because I just push them back down.  But when they first moved into their new home, they tried to escape.  Really escape.  I found a couple on the tile, dried to death, the morning after they moved in.  They were coming out of the air holes, I suppose.  But they are all fine now.  Survival of the hungriest, I guess.

These little guys were the first to try to escape.















We have hardly anything in the trash now.  The recycling bin is full and the worms are at work making me black gold for the garden.  It's beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment